Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Anathema

I've wanted to use this word for so long and I am stoked I finally get to do it.

Anathema:
1. to be formally set apart,
2. banished, exiled, excommunicated or
3. denounced, sometimes accursed.

But there is more to the word itself. The word we now translate as "anathema" in English comes from the Greek word ἀνάθεμα (ä-nä'-the-mä) as found in 1 Cor 12:3. Here it is used to say that no one shall call Jesus "accursed" however there is also a very different meaning for the word. ἀνάθημα (ä-nä'-thā-mä) also translates to "anathema" in English but is used in Luke 21:5 to describe a "gift" that is set apart or raised up to God. Something set aside and very positive.

In modern english, the positive version is never used. It always means "accursed" even though it once had a positive connotation. So who the heck cares?

Well, it occurred to me that the term "Christian" has become anathema to the world in recent times in both the direct translation, and as a metaphor for the transition. What once had a positive connotation has now become synonymous with being accursed. I think that's why so many people have tried to rename themselves.

I remember the first time I heard someone say they weren't a Christian but rather a "Christ Follower". At first, I really liked the term, but the more time I spent with it, the more it left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand the reason people try to distinguish themselves from the millions of other "Christians" around them, but why do we have to invent a new word for it?

Lets be honest, if I tried to sell you a silica-based crystal that facilitated the rapid consumption of delicious liquids, wouldn't you be a little bit disappointed when I handed you a plain glass cup? Wouldn't it be so much better if I offered you a glass and handed you something unexpected and beautiful? (I'm thinking a really awesome Scooby-Doo collectible!!)

A small part of me (very small) is grateful the world has a jaded view of Christianity because it makes it all the more amazing when they finally see a glimpse of who Jesus really is.

I don't want to focus on terminology anymore. I want to focus on how my life reflects Jesus, and let him do the rest. I'd rather show people how different I am from the world than tell them.

No comments: