Monday, March 31, 2008

...and I took the one less traveled...

There are many paths to a faith in Jesus Christ. Some grow up in church and begin a relationship at a very early age. Some repent of their sins in college, and some recognize the emptiness they’ve carried around for 40+ years can only be filled with Jesus. Depending on your story, your walk in faith will be characterized with different struggles. Some “career Christians” do everything they can just to not get complacent because it’s hard to know what you’ve got if you’ve always had it. In contrast, the drug addict that spent 10 years living on the street knows exactly what life is like without Jesus and probably doesn’t take it for granted. Instead, they have to deal with the daily temptations a life of sin etched deep into their soul that Jesus can and will heal, but it takes time.

I was 21 when I took my first step forward in Christ. I had been a Christian for two years and was sick and tired of squandering the gift of mercy that had been placed before me. My story is much like the drug addict depicted above. My joy in Christ stems from knowing, without a shadow of a doubt, what life without Jesus felt like and feeling grateful and blessed on a daily basis. I will never go back and I wouldn’t trade my circumstance for anything in the world.

The point of this is to say, what ever your story, know the strengths you gain from your situation and celebrate them first and foremost. God knew what He was doing and you are not a mistake. You have a unique perspective because of your life and that is on purpose. But also know your weakness. Know the pitfalls of your situation and be deliberate in those areas.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

You're a smart man, Mr. Summers. :) And I love that poem. I was just thinking about it the other day when I was at a park near Lake Norman walking around.