Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Job pt. 1

I now realize that so much of my “knowledge” stems from the things I learned before I was a Christian. I remember the first time I learned that Christmas, Easter, even Sunday were all pagan holidays that Christians adopted. I always thought we knew when Jesus was born, when he triumphed over the grave. Then I found out that those are they days we “celebrate” the things we know happened. The story I always heard about Jonah was the first 3 chapters. I didn’t know there was a 4th chapter until a few months ago. Turns out Jonah was a bitter jerk. He wasn’t the guy I was told about.

Now, I’m reading Job. Wow! Is this every not the story I thought it was. Job is a phenomenal book and there are literally dozens of things that come out of it, and none of them were what I thought they’d be. The story I always heard of Job is all in the first chapter. Why no one every brought up chapter 2-42 I can’t say. I want to spend a while bringing up some things I noticed while reading Job over the next few days. Today’s installment,

Chapter 1:

I read this chapter and I know there are a million things going on here that I am not smart enough to put into context. When I read a sentence that stands out and think to myself “that’s weird, why is it worded like that?” is usually means there’s a significance, I’m just not equipped to understand it. What I do know is Job is a wonderful man who has been very clearly blessed with God’s favor. God is proud of his servant to the point where he presents Job to Satan.

“Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” Job 1:8

We all know what happens next. Satan suggests that Job is only such a great guy because of all the wonderful things God has blessed him with. So God allows Satan to get into Job’s life. And boy does he ever. Job is literally faced with a maelstrom of events. Four messengers come and tell him that all his wealth and all his family are gone, and what does Job do? He worships God. His love wasn’t based on God’s blessings but on God being God. This is the Job we all learned about in Sunday school isn’t it? Then it all kinda falls apart...

2 comments:

kelly said...

Oh the suspense!!
haha.
oh, and maelstrom. nice word.

Michael said...

At first, I totally thought the title was talking about you finding a job.