Monday, January 14, 2008

Importance

I'm slowly learning things that I should already know, but am slow to pick up on. This week at Elevation was informative to me because I realized how unimportant we all really are. We were missing a few key people Sunday morning, but things went on as they always do. I started to reflect on that fact. How important am I really?

I like to think the job I do matters, and that I do it in a way that no one else could, but in the end, how important am I really? I realized that deep down, the church doesn't need me. Sure, if I disappeared tomorrow I would be missed (I hope so anyways), but the world would keep on spinning.

But even more important is that no one person at this church is vital to it. Even Pastor himself can take a week off, and things would continue. Does that mean he isn't important? Absolutely not. Every person volunteering and serving at church is important and is living out God's calling in their lives, but they aren't more important than the Church. That's the key. Jesus Christ is the one and only person that needs to show up every Sunday for this thing to work.

No comments: