Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Evolution


When I first became a Christian and started exploring God, it was like He slowly painted a picture for me. Every thing I learned was a new line of the image. Every relationship I formed, every thing he taught me, added another color. And finally, when it was all over, when I understood "Christianity", the picture was complete and I had something to look at, visualize, and wrap my mind around.

The problem, was that I felt like I was looking at a 4x6 picture of a mountain, all the while my soul cried out, trying to tell me what a mountain really was. I couldn't shake the feeling that my picture was horribly simple and didn't even begin to do justice to what the reality really was. Much like looking at a picture of Mt Everest, and actually standing on top of it, I had to know what was really behind the image.

So my search for truth didn't stop at the image. I spent more time exploring God, and a crazy thing started to happen!

I think I expected the picture to get more complex; 3 dimensional maybe, or become larger, or have more detail. I expected God to continue to reveal himself in the same way, only better. What started to happen though, was that my image of God, Christianity, and Truth all started to dissolve. They began to fade away because no image could ever seek to explain the real thing. No picture could ever replace the experience, the emotion of standing on a mountain peak. The hard thing for me now, is explaining just what that looks like. As a finite being, any definition, any image, any word that I can use to describe an infinite God, puts limits and boundaries on what He really is. The image dissolved because in order for me to discover more, the boundaries had to dissolve.

My image of God has been replaced with emotions, feelings, and certainty. Things without boundaries or limits. Only these things can express something beyond limits and boundaries. When you seek God beyond the limits, be prepared for Him to shatter your ability to understand and express what He really is.

No comments: