Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Beyond Limits (part 2)

Sorry for the delay. Bonfires, race cars, church, and everything in between seemed to get in the way.

This is a continuation of Beyond Limits (part 1)

So the cool thing about finite creatures and infinite God is the amount of metaphors that come from this. We already saw briefly how impossibly small we are compared to God. Billy Graham may be 10 trillion, and I may only be 50, but when compared to an infinite God, we are both impossibly small.

So why then do some of us spend our lives trying to grow in knowledge? Well, there are things that knowledge is good for. For starters, as finite creatures with a limited capacity, knowledge helps us to understand God within the capacity of our own selves and possibly our micro-universe. I say possibly because limited knowledge can be misleading if God is acting on an infinite scale in the world around us. (we'll get into this point another time) Secondly and probably most important of all, the knowledge that God blesses us with is a wonderful tool for helping those around us. If an infinite God pours bits of himself into us, we are then able to touch those around us with a piece of infinite resources. We'll go deeper with this topic in part 3.

Unfortunately, some of us pursue knowledge for wrong reasons. If we seek to learn more about God just to be smarter, what is the point? If I spend my whole life growing from a 50, to 10 trillion, how far away am I still from true knowledge? You guessed it, still infinity. I can spend my whole life learning, seeking, and growing, but at the end of my life, I am still impossibly far away from the truth. My life has been spent chasing an impossible task. I can never know the answers. I might know some of them, but in the end I would be like a little boy trying to scoop up handfuls of sand so that I can carry the whole beach.

Seek knowledge so that you can grow closer to God. I pray that He will reveal the parts of himself that we need most to accomplish our tasks in this life. I pray that he will use us and our capacity to make a difference and that we will spend our lives impacting those around us.

No comments: