Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Beyond Limits (part 3)

Please read Beyond Limits part 1 & part 2 before this or it probably won't make much sense.

In part 1 we talked about the difference between a limitless God and the limitations of humans. Part 2 talked about the comparison we often make between ourselves and others, when the only one that matters is the comparison between us and God. For part three, we're going to talk briefly about capacity.

Let's forgo the numbers for a moment and use water as an analogy. We'll call God all the oceans in the world since it is a fairly large concept (even though God in infinitely larger). Let's say that we, as creatures with limits, have containers that vary in size from cups to swimming pools. Still with me? Ok, I'm holding a cup of water. In that cup are all my issues, all my strengths, all my abilities and problems. If I were to take that cup to the beach and pour it into the ocean, how much bigger would the ocean get? Even if every molecule of H2O spread out, would the ocean even rise one molecule? For all real purposes, the ocean would be totally unaffected. Imagine the same scenario with a swimming pool. Would all the molecules spread all over the globe and raise the oceans? Most likely not.

So then why do we hesitate sometimes to bring our issues to God? Other people can only handle us to a certain extent. Enough cups of water and you'll fill a swimming pool. Get two people together with cups and they are very limited in what they can take from us. But if you see God as an infinite ocean that can always take everything we put on Him, maybe we'll be more likely to turn to Him right away instead of hesitating. He'll never fill up. He can always take everything from us and be ready for more.

Now, reverse the scenario. How much smaller does the ocean get if you take out a cup of water? The coolest thing about God having infinite capacity is that He has infinite supply. He can fill my cup, your swimming pool, and everyone else's and still be just as infinitely huge as ever. Moreover, I can only pour so much of myself into other people (look at part 2 for why we need to pour into others) before my cup is empty. God, can pour enough into my cup that it overflows and I can never run out. Through God, I can tap into an infinite supply and pour into others with more to spare. He will never run out, and will never reach a limit. We need to connect to that source and trust in it.

No comments: