Friday, October 19, 2007

I shall fear no evil...

What are you afraid of? When someone asks that question, we typically think normal things like snakes, spiders, heights, the dark…But what if someone asks “what do you fear?” Our answers might change a bit. We fear rejection, death, getting caught….

When I think of things that I’m afraid of, I usually think of things that can harm me. When I think of the things I fear, I usually think of things that have painful consequences.

So where is all this going? Earlier in my walk I often heard the term “God fearing man” or some other variant of that phrase. Before I was able to grasp the beauty of a God with so much depth, I really struggled to put together the God of love that rescued me and the God that demanded fear from His people. Then, it hit me. To fear God is to acknowledge His power and to show respect for His authority.

Think about it this way. When you’re driving down the highway and a cop pulls into your lane, what is your first reaction? You get nervous don’t you? You have a “fear” of the Police because you acknowledge they have authority and power over you. That doesn’t mean you’re afraid of them. Most of us are honest people that don’t need to worry about the Police harming us. When you’re walking downtown at night, don’t you feel safer having them around? So why do we usually get nervous when they drive behind us? We get nervous because we fear the consequences if we get caught braking a law don’t we?

Fear of God is no different. We all need to acknowledge His power over us and we all need to fear the consequences of our disobedience and sin. However just like having the Police around when you’re in a dark ally makes you feel safe, having God around in your life is also a very good idea. Fearing God simply means understanding His power and sovereignty. The last time I checked, those were also great reasons to love and worship Him too!

4 comments:

Jennica said...

I struggled with the concept of fearing God for quite awhile. However it is so great when you finally figure it out. It was explained to me that to fear God means to fear nothing else. And later I deciphered this as knowing that only He has the power, control and authority over our lives. Just like you said. The Police is such an awesome analogy. I've never heard it put like that before. I might have to steal that for my high school bible study when it starts back up again. Thanks!

Lindsey said...

I don't know if this kid's name will mean anything to you from the times you've been in Quest, but I had a hilarious moment today with Eli talking about this song. The way he said it... OH NO, you NEVER let go. His expression and tone were equal parts hilarious and precious.

Lindsey said...

I demand a post!

Adam Griffin said...

I assume you capitalized the P in Police because you were speaking of the band?